Economic, regulatory and environmental constraints are putting pressure on animal production industries to produce more with less. That’s a big challenge across industries and aquaculture is no exception. In order to improve sustainability, we need:
- To develop diets that meet fish and shrimp nutritional and health needs under intensive production conditions.
- Diets that are environment-friendly and thus respect environmental regulations.
- New and functional ingredients that help with the reduction of antibiotics in diets.
- Diets that ultimately ensure the final product presented to consumers is safe, nutritious and healthy.
The Need to Adjust Essential Nutrients in Diets and Overcome Aquaculture Challenges
The aquaculture industry has been transitioning from using high dietary levels of marine ingredients such as fish meal to using plant proteins alone or in combination with animal byproducts as primary protein sources. These alternative protein sources are, however, limiting in several essential nutrients thus requiring balancing of diets with supplemental amino acids and trace minerals, among other nutrients. Trace minerals play numerous essential roles within cells and metabolic processes, making them essential for optimal nutrition and health of fish and shrimp.
Not All Trace Minerals Are Created Equally
Trace minerals are essential nutrients involved in a wide range of metabolic functions including growth and development, immune function, enzyme systems, bone and muscle development and more. When targeting improvement in a specific function, the chart below identifies the roles essential trace minerals play in fish and shrimp.
Aquaculture Trace Minerals in Fish and Shrimp Diets
When considering trace mineral supplementation, a nutritionist should also consider the biological efficacy — how well the minerals are absorbed and utilized by the animal. The molecular design of Zinpro® Performance Minerals® guarantees the minerals are highly absorbed to be best utilized by fish and shrimp via a unique absorption pathway, the aminoacid pathway. Research shows that supplementing diets with Zinpro Performance Minerals is essential for improving performance, health and nutritional quality and safety of the final product for the consumer.
Improve Aquaculture Health and Performance with Zinpro®
Understanding more about the benefits of Zinpro Performance Minerals will help you choose the right solution to improve the health of your animals and produce more with less — contributing to more sustainable aquaculture production. Delivering more precise trace mineral nutrition to fish and shrimp allows them to:
- Benefit from important metabolic functions in which Zinpro trace minerals play a key role such as antioxidant capacity
- Be more prepared to mitigate the negative effects of stress and disease challenges as Zinpro trace minerals are known for their immune modulation role
- Improve product quality and animal performance
The source and availability of trace minerals are key to satisfy the needs of fish and shrimp in an efficient and sustainable way throughout their lifecycle. When Zinpro Performance Minerals are included as part of a well-balanced diet, they can help improve performance and deliver a strong return on investment. Be sure to visit the aquaculture section of our website to learn more about the benefits of our solutions in fish and shrimp production, welfare and sustainability.